When I saw today was about Sarah giving birth to Issac my first thought was "I know this story - I'm just going to read the guides notes on it" (don't judge me!). Then I reminded myself the whole point is to actually read the Bible. So I read the long passage and am so glad I did.
I found myself laughing out loud at one point at how bizzare this story truly is. When you're a kid in Sunday School they skip over some parts of the story, for good reason - this is much like a soap opera. Abraham's slave (Hager) has his first son (Ishmael), but then his wife (Sarah) gets pregnant and has a baby (Isaac) and she kicks out Hager and Ishmael. They're stuck wandering in the middle of no where and she deserts Ishmael under a tree because she can't watch him die...(he doesn't - but you'd know that if you read the story!). Then Abraham takes his son (Isaac) to the top of a mountain to sacrifice him (something God asked him to do), but at the last minute God sends a ram instead.
Who says the Bible is boring.
No comments:
Post a Comment